Sunday, July 15, 2012

Saturday's Double Feature!

For the first time in six months I finally decided to end my Bollywood movie hiatus and take that leap with Cocktail. After endless disappoints with Indian movies, this film wasn't all that bad. I knew within the first 45 minutes what the entire movie would consist of but all Bollywood flicks are pretty predictable. Although I'm more of an Aamir Khan fan, Saif Ali Khan did a decent job being a comedian before the interval, I think Kareena Kapoor would be proud of her beau. Deepika Padukone I think did a great job portraying a "live in the moment, party hard" type girl! Plus she's from the same place where most of my family live in India and speaks the same language as my family so obviously I wouldn't have anything bad to say about her. Newcomer Diana Penty was alright in my book, she was kind of annoying after the interval when the "I love you but please forget about me" story line went on for about the last hour. WHY CAN'T FILM MAKERS JUST STOP THE UNNECESSARY RUBBERBAND STRETCH?!?!?! Just end the movie already... pleaseeee!!!! In my opinion if they had spent less time showing how to resist the love and spent more time embracing it the movie would be a lot more better, but unfortunately they didn't do that so I give the movie a 3 out 5. The songs were good except for a few they just DID NOT need to have. I'd recommend this movie for it's external shots of London and Cape Town but for actual plot it was pretty mediocre.

Onto my next Indian flick, Kahaani. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FILM!!!! Of all the Bollywood movies I've seen throughout my life I can honestly say that my top three are 3 Deewarein, Aankhen and now Kahaani. I'm not a huge fan of random breaks of song and dance, it ruins the seriousness of the movie, but this film had none which I really appreciated. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end and Vidya Balan is a phenomenal actress. The movie really only consisted of her being the only "famous" actor but that didn't take away from the film. There are not many Indian movies like this one so definitely watch it and pay attention throughout because events that take place in the beginning are important till the very end. For a movie made on a very tight budget, it did well for itself in box offices and I'm not surprised because the plot was so unique. And for once the setting did not take place in Mumbai or out of the country, the director finally took advantage of his own country and gave the audience a taste of Kolkata. I'd give this movie a 6 out of 5 rating and that's rare coming from me for an Indian movie. Expect remakes in different languages and a sequel in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment